Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Semester...at a Glance!

I decided to write my "free-topic" post on how my semester is going and what all I have going on. To get things started, I am taking 15 hours here at Clemson and 3 hours online through Tri-County. My 15 hours here at Clemson include: MGT 310, MKT 427, MKT 420, ENGL 304, and LAW 322. My 3 hour class taken online through Tri-County Tech is the equivalent to ACCT 202 here at Clemson. It has worked out pretty well so far because all my classes this semester seem relevant to what I am trying to get done anyway. For example, I would like an internship this summer with a Real Estate Development company (hopefully in Greenville, SC). In my MKT 420 class (Professional Selling), we have a project coming due next week that is called "Employer Database". My "Employer Database" is suppose to list 25 prospective employers that I could possibly apply to in the future. So for this project, I found 25 Real Estate Development companies located in the upstate and listed those in my Employer Database. So now, I accomplished the task of finding companies that I could possibly work for this summer, and I completed a project for a grade! It's nice when assignments in your academic classes overlap with your personal and professional life. Another example is English 304 (Business Writing). We have a portfolio coming up that we have to complete by mid-March. In this portfolio, we will have cover letters, resumes, etc. All of these things are a necessary part of the business world. These items will come in handy for me over the next few weeks as I get ready to send out my resume to try to get an internship. It just seems to me that academic assignments are a lot easier to work on when they have relevance in your life. When the assignments are relevant to your life, you have something to work toward because you know you are going to get more out of that assignment than just turning it in for a grade. As for my other classes (MKT 427, MGT 310, ACCT 202, and LAW 322), they are preparing me for when I enter the professional field in a few years. I might not be able to get benefits out of these classes immediately, such as being able to use academic assignments outside the class room, but I will see the benefits of these classes in a few years. All of these classes are stepping stones to get to more advanced classes. It has just been on my mind lately how much more fun it is to work on assignments when you can use them out of class. That is why I thought I would blog on it; to let people know that classes aren't always boring and busy work, because sometimes you can apply them immediately outside the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment